Hevelius, Catherina Elisabetha Koopman
- Thomas R. Williams
- … show all 1 hide
BaptizedDanzig, (Gdańsk, Poland), 17 January 1647
BuriedDanzig, (Gdańsk, Poland), 23 December 1693
Catherina Hevelius assisted her husband, Danzig brewer and politician Johannes Hevel, with his astronomical observations, data reduction, and atlas engraving, and published their important work after his death. The daughter of a wealthy Dutch merchant, Nicholas Koopman, and his wife Joanna (née Mennings), Catherina Elisabetha was well educated for a young woman of her time. In the course of acquiring that education, she apparently developed a strong interest in astronomy before the age of 16 years and may have visited the Hevelius household and observatory. Hevelius’s first wife, Katharina (née Rebeschke), also the daughter of a wealthy Danzig citizen, had managed her husband’s household and helped with the brewery business to provide him time for civic involvement and astronomy, but she was not interested in astronomy. Katharina died in 1662.
After her marriage to Johannes in 1663, Catherin ...
- MacPike, Eugene Fairfield (1937). Hevelius, Flamsteed and Halley: Three Contemporary Astronomers and Their Mutual Relations. London: Taylor and Francis.
- North, John D. (1972). “Hevelius, Johannes.” In Dictionary of Scientific Biography, edited by Charles Coulston Gillispie. Vol. 6, pp. 360–364. New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons.
- Rizzo, P. V. (1954). “Early Daughters of Urania.” Sky & Telescope 14, no. 1: 7–9.
- Schiebinger, Londa (1999). “Maria Winkelmann at the Berlin Academy: A Turning Point for Women in Science. ” In History of Women in the Sciences, edited by Sally Gregory Kohlstedt, pp. 39–65, esp. 59–60. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Hevelius, Catherina Elisabetha Koopman
- Reference Work Title
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- pp 970-971
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Earth Science, University of Northern Iowa
- 2. University of California, Irvine School of Physical Sciences
- 3. Rice University
- 4. Whitman College
- 5. York Univesity
- 6. University of Wisconsin
- 7. University of Oklahoma
- 8. Harvard University
- Thomas R. Williams (878)
- Author Affiliations
- 878. Rice University, Houston, TX, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.