Antoniadi, Eugène Michael
- William Sheehan
- … show all 1 hide
BornIstanbul, (Turkey), 1 March 1870
DiedParis, France, 10 February 1944
Eugène Antoniadi was one of the leading visual observers of the planets in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Born of Greek parents, Antoniadi became interested in astronomy during his boyhood. His talent for beautiful draftsmanship became evident at an early age; it appears he received at least some formal training in architecture. When he was only 17, Antoniadi began making drawings of sunspots and the planets with a 3-in. refractor at Constantinople and on the island of Prinkipio in the Sea of Marmara. He began submitting his work to the Société Astronomique de France, which had been founded in 1887 by Camille Flammarion. At this time, conditions in the Ottoman Empire were worsening under Sultan Abdülhamid II – the Red Sultan – and Antoniadi was eager to escape his disordered homeland. He accepted an invitation to become assistant observer at Flammarion’s private observatory, located at his chatea ...
- Antoniadi, E. M. (1934). La planète Mercure et la rotation des satellites. Paris: Gauthier-Villars.
- — (1975). The Planet Mars, translated by Patrick Moore. Shaldon, Devon, England: Keith Reid.
- McKim, Richard (1993). “The Life and Times of E.M. Antoniadi, 1870–1944, Part 1: An Astronomer in the Making.” Journal of the British Astronomical Association 103: 164–170.
- — (1993). “The Life and Times of E. M. Antoniadi, 1870–1944, Part 2: The Meudon Years.” Journal of the British Astronomical Association 103: 219–227. (Includes an extensive bibliography.)
- — (1999). “Telescopic Martian Dust Storms: A Narrative and Catalogue.” Memoirs of the British Astronomical Association 44.
- Sheehan, William and Stephen James O’Meara (2001). Mars: The Lure of the Red Planet. Amherst, New York: Prometheus Books.
- Antoniadi, Eugène Michael
- Reference Work Title
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- pp 83-85
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Earth Science, University of Northern Iowa
- 2. University of California, Irvine School of Physical Sciences
- 3. Rice University
- 4. Whitman College
- 5. York Univesity
- 6. University of Wisconsin
- 7. University of Oklahoma
- 8. Harvard University
- William Sheehan (168)
- Author Affiliations
- 168. Lowell Observatory, Flagstaff, AZ, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.