Gould, Benjamin Apthorp
- Trudy E. Bell
- … show all 1 hide
BornBoston, Massachusetts, USA, 27 September 1824
DiedCambridge, Massachusetts, USA, 26 November 1896
Benjamin Apthorp Gould founded the Astronomical Journal, copioneered with Lewis Rutherfurd the application of photography to astrometry (the determination of the positions of the stars and planets), headed the effort to use the first successful transatlantic telegraph cable to determine the longitude difference between Boston and Liverpool, and created the first comprehensive catalogs of Southern Hemisphere stars. Along the way, Gould was the first director of the Dudley Observatory in Albany, New York, one of the original members of the National Academy of Sciences established by the US Congress in 1863, and a founder and first director of the National Observatory at Córdoba, Argentina.
The eldest of four children born to Benjamin Apthorp Gould, Sr. and Lucretia Dana Goddard, Gould was precocious, reading aloud by age 3, composing Latin odes by age 5, and giving lectures on electricity b ...
- Dr. Gould’s Work in the Argentine Republic. Nature 33: pp. 9-12
- Chandler, Seth C. (1896). “The Life and Work of Dr. Gould.” Science, n.s. 4: 885–890. (Reprinted verbatim in Popular Astronomy 4 (1897): 341–347).
- Comstock, George C. (1924). “Benjamin Apthorp Gould.” Memoirs of the National Academy of Sciences 17, no. 7: 155–180. (Vol. 10 of the Biographical Memoirs, National Academy of Sciences).
- Hall, A (1897) Benjamin Apthorp Gould. Popular Astronomy 4: pp. 337-340
- Herrmann, DB (1971) B. A. Gould and His Astronomical Journal. Journal for the History of Astronomy 2: pp. 98-108
- Hodge, JE (1971) Benjamin Apthorp Gould and the Founding of the Argentine National Observatory. The Americas 28: pp. 152-175
- James, MA (1987) Elites in Conflict: The Antebellum Clash over the Dudley Observatory. Rutgers University Press, New Brunswick, New Jersey
- Marsden, , Brian, G “Gould, Benjamin Apthorp.”. In: Charles, CG eds. (1972) Dictionary of Scientific Biography. Charles Scribner’s Sons, New York, pp. 479-480
- Olson, RG (1971) The Gould Controversy at Dudley Observatory: Public and Professional Values in Conflict. Annals of Science 27: pp. 265-276
- Sersic, JL (1971) The First Century of the Cordoba Observatory. Sky and Telescope 42: pp. 347-350
- Gould, Benjamin Apthorp
- Reference Work Title
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- pp 833-836
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Earth Science, University of Northern Iowa
- 2. University of California, Irvine School of Physical Sciences
- 3. Rice University
- 4. Whitman College
- 5. York Univesity
- 6. University of Wisconsin
- 7. University of Oklahoma
- 8. Harvard University
- Trudy E. Bell (752)
- Author Affiliations
- 752. High-Performance AstroComputing Center, University of California, Santa Cruz, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.