- Thomas A. Dobbins
- … show all 1 hide
BornLoughborough, Leicestershire, England, 1856
DiedBournemouth, Dorset, England, 1 May 1938
Walter Goodacre was the preeminent British selenographer of the early twentieth century. His monograph on the Moon was considered a primary resource for selenographers for several decades after its publication.
Goodacre was born at Loughborough, but in 1863 the family moved to London, where his father founded a carpet manufacturing business. Walter Goodacre established a branch of the family business in India and visited there frequently for 15 years. He succeeded his father as head of the firm in London, remaining in that position until his retirement in 1929.
Attracted to astronomy as a boy, for a time Goodacre directed the Lunar Section of the Liverpool Astronomical Society. As a founding member of the British Astronomical Association [BAA], following the death of Thomas Elger, Goodacre was appointed to the directorship of the BAA Lunar Section, a post he held until 1 year before his death. He s ...
- Both, Ernst E. (1961). A History of Lunar Studies. Buffalo, New York: Buffalo Museum of Science.
- Goodacre, Walter A. (1931). The Moon with a Description of Its Surface Formations. Bournemouth, England: privately published.
- Sheehan, William P. and Thomas A. Dobbins (2001). Epic Moon: A History of Lunar Exploration in the Age of the Telescope. Richmond, Virginia: Willmann-Bell.
- Steavenson, William H. (1939). “Walter Goodacre.” Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 99: 310–311.
- Whitaker, Ewen A. (1999). Mapping and Naming the Moon: A History of Lunar Cartography and Nomenclature. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Wilkins, H. P. and Patrick Moore (1958). The Moon. London: Faber and Faber, p. 368.
- Goodacre, Walter
- Reference Work Title
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- pp 827-828
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Earth Science, University of Northern Iowa
- 2. University of California, Irvine School of Physical Sciences
- 3. Rice University
- 4. Whitman College
- 5. York Univesity
- 6. University of Wisconsin
- 7. University of Oklahoma
- 8. Harvard University
- Thomas A. Dobbins (748)
- Author Affiliations
- 748. Fort Meyers, FL, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.