de Gasparis, Annibale
- Ennio Badolati
- … show all 1 hide
Gasparis, Annibale de
BornBugnara, (Abruzzo, Italy), 9 November 1819
DiedNaples, Italy, 21 March 1892
Annibale de Gasparis was a professor, observatory director, and specialist on minor planets, of which he discovered nine. He was the son of Angelo de Gasparis and Eleonora Angelantoni. In 1838 he moved to Naples in order to attend the courses in the Scuola di ponti e strade(School of bridges and roads), an engineering university, but in 1840 he became alunno(student) at the observatory of Naples. In 1846 the University of Naples honored de Gasparis with a degree “ad honorem” for his studies on the orbit of the minor planet (4) Vesta, which had been discovered by Heinrich Olbersin 1807. In 1848, de Gasparis married Giuseppina Russo, and they had eight sons, of whom three died in infancy.
On 12 April 1849, de Gasparis discovered a new asteroid, one that he named Igea (or Hygiea) Borbonica (Borbonicain honour of Ferdinand II of the Borbones, then king of the two Sicilies). The g ...
- Amodeo, F (1924) Vita matematica napoletana. Tipografia dell’Accademia Pontaniana, Naples
- Anon. (1893). Annibale de Gasparis. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society53: 225–226.
- Cianci, Cesare (ed.) (1955). Annibale de Gasparis. Rome: Tipografia Nardini.
- Mancini, Carmelo (1892). Annibale de Gasparis. Atti Accademia PontanianaXXII : 37–73.
- de Gasparis, Annibale
- Reference Work Title
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- p 535
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Earth Science, University of Northern Iowa
- 2. University of California, Irvine School of Physical Sciences
- 3. Rice University
- 4. Whitman College
- 5. York Univesity
- 6. University of Wisconsin
- 7. University of Oklahoma
- 8. Harvard University
- Ennio Badolati (432)
- Author Affiliations
- 432. Università del Molise, Campobasso, Italy
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.