- Jordan D. Marché II
- … show all 1 hide
BornManhattan, Kansas, USA, 7 March 1878
DiedCambridge, Massachusetts, USA, 21 July 1944
During Philip Fox’s career as an observatory and planetarium director, he exhibited many traits desirable for a professional astronomer involved in administration and served as a role model for future American planetarium directors.
The son of Simeon and Esther (née Butler) Fox, Philip earned a bachelor’s degree in 1897 at Kansas State College. After graduation, he taught mathematics and served as commandant at Saint John’s Military School before enlisting in the US Army. In 1898, Fox served in the Philippine Islands where he rose to the rank of second lieutenant during the Spanish-American War. After the war, he returned to Kansas State and was awarded a master’s degree in 1901. Fox also studied under Edwin Frost and earned a second bachelor’s degree in physics from Dartmouth College in 1902. The following year, Fox was appointed a Carnegie Assistant at Yerkes Observatory and worked with Frost on its ...
- Aitken, Robert G. (1944). “Philip Fox, 1878–1944.” Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific 56: 177–181.
- Fox, Philip (1933). Adler Planetarium and Astronomical Museum: An Account of the Optical Planetarium and a Brief Guide to the Museum. Chicago: Lakeside Press.
- Lee, Oliver Justin (1944). “Philip Fox, 1878–1944.” Popular Astronomy 52: 365–370.
- Marché II, Jordan D. (2005). Theaters of Time and Space: American Planetaria, 1930–1970. New Brunswick, New Jersey: Rutgers University Press.
- Menke, David H. (Jan. 1987). “Phillip [sic] Fox and the Adler Planetarium.” Planetarian 16, no. 1: 46–48.
- Stebbins, Joel (1944). “Philip Fox.” Science 100: 184–186.
- Fox, Philip
- Reference Work Title
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- pp 750-752
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Earth Science, University of Northern Iowa
- 2. University of California, Irvine School of Physical Sciences
- 3. Rice University
- 4. Whitman College
- 5. York Univesity
- 6. University of Wisconsin
- 7. University of Oklahoma
- 8. Harvard University
- Jordan D. Marché II (654)
- Author Affiliations
- 654. University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.