- Ian T. Durham
- … show all 1 hide
Flourished(Greece), circa432 BCE
Almost nothing is known of the Greek astronomer Euctemon, including his birth and death dates; it is known that he worked with the astronomer Meton in Athens around 432 BCE. This bit of information comes to us from Ptolemy, who mentions Meton and Euctemon. There is also a reference to Euctemon in Pausanius’ Description of Greece as being the father of Damon and Philogenes, two Athenians who provided ships to the Ionians for their voyage to Asia. One reference indicates that Euctemon was wealthy enough to have craftsmen working for him.
Euctemon’s chief astronomical contributions were largely in conjunction with those of Meton. They were reported to have developed a calendar of 365.25 + 1/76 of a day (30 min too long). A 19-year cycle was developed from an observation of the solstices since it was similar to observations made earlier in Mesopotamia, although the independent nature of the discovery is suspect. The Metonic cycle arises from 19 solar years, b ...
- Jones, A. H. M. (1955). “The Social Structure of Athens in the Fourth Century B.C.” Economic History Review 8: 141–155.
- Smith, David Eugene (1958). History of Mathematics. Vol. 1. Boston: Ginn and Co., 1923; New York: Dover.
- Steel, Duncan (1999). Eclipse: The Celestial Phenomenon Which Changed the Course of History. London: Headline Book Publishing.
- Reference Work Title
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- p 672
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Earth Science, University of Northern Iowa
- 2. University of California, Irvine School of Physical Sciences
- 3. Rice University
- 4. Whitman College
- 5. York Univesity
- 6. University of Wisconsin
- 7. University of Oklahoma
- 8. Harvard University
- Ian T. Durham (535)
- Author Affiliations
- 535. Saint Anselm College, Manchester, 03102, NH, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.