Eckert, Wallace John
- Robert A. Garfinkle
- … show all 1 hide
BornPittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA, 19 June 1902
DiedEnglewood, New Jersey, USA, 24 August 1971
American celestial mechanician Wallace Eckert pioneered the application of punch-card computing machines to problems of astronomical orbit determinations. He was the son of farmers John and Anna (Née Heil) Eckert, and received degrees from Oberlin College (AB: 1925), Amherst College (AM: 1926), and Yale University (Ph.D. in astronomy: 1931, with a thesis on the orbit of Trojan-type minor planet (624) Hektor, completed under Ernest Brown). From 1926 to 1940 Eckert served on the astronomy department faculty of Columbia University, rising to the level of professor of celestial mechanics. He spent his last 2 professional years, 1968–1969, at Yale University, and throughout his career was particularly generous in providing computational facilities for the astronomers at Yale University working on planetary, asteroid, and satellite orbits.
In 1933, Eckert worked on developing a punch-card accounting m ...
- Anon. (1979). “Eckert, Wallace John.” In National Cyclopedia of American Biography. Vol. 58, pp. 457–458. Clifton, New Jersey: James T. White and Co.
- Ashbrook, Joseph (1971). “A Great American Astronomer.” Sky & Telescope 42, no. 4: 207.
- Bowman, John S. (ed.) (1995). “Eckert, Wallace (John).” In The Cambridge Dictionary of American Biography, p. 213. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Tropp, Henry S. (1978). “Eckert, Wallace John.” In Dictionary of Scientific Biography, edited by Charles Coulston Gillispie. Vol. 15, pp. 128–130. New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons.
- Eckert, Wallace John
- Reference Work Title
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- pp 634-635
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Earth Science, University of Northern Iowa
- 2. University of California, Irvine School of Physical Sciences
- 3. Rice University
- 4. Whitman College
- 5. York Univesity
- 6. University of Wisconsin
- 7. University of Oklahoma
- 8. Harvard University
- Robert A. Garfinkle (52)
- Author Affiliations
- 52. Union City, CA, 94587, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.