- Stanislaw Rokita
- … show all 1 hide
BornWarsaw, Poland, 2 September 1878
DiedTorun, Poland, 6 February 1962
Wladyslaw Dziewulski investigated celestial mechanics, stellar kinematics, and Cepheid variable stars, and directed two observatories in his native land. He graduated from high school in Warsaw. Between the years 1897 and 1901, Dziewulski studied astronomy and majored in mathematics and physics at Warsaw University. He continued his astronomical studies under Karl Schwarzschild’s guidance at Göttingen University (1902–1903 and 1907–1908). He was awarded his Ph.D. at Jagiellonian University (Cracow) in 1906, for investigations of the secular perturbations on minor planet (433) Eros.
Between 1903–1906 and 1908–1909, Dziewulski was an assistant at the Jagiellonian University Observatory. In 1909, he became an adjunct faculty member and a lecturer at the university (1916). In 1919, Dziewulski was appointed professor of astronomy at the Stefan Batory University in Vilnius, where he worked until the outbreak of World War II ...
- Anon. (1992). “Dziewulski, Wladyslaw.” In The Polish Biographical Dictionary, edited by Stanley S. Sokol, p. 107. Wauconda, Illinois: Bolchazy-Carducci.
- Iwaniszewska, Cecylia (1978). Wladyslaw Dziewulski, 1878–1962. Warsaw: Panstwowe Wydawn. Nauk., Oddzial w Poznaniu.
- Iwanowska, Wilhelmina (1962). “Wladyslaw Dziewulski.” Quarterly Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society3: 241.
- Rybka, Eugeniusz (1962). “Prof. Wladyslaw Dziewulski.” Nature194: 235–236.
- Dziewulski, Wladyslaw
- Reference Work Title
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- pp 631-632
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Earth Science, University of Northern Iowa
- 2. University of California, Irvine School of Physical Sciences
- 3. Rice University
- 4. Whitman College
- 5. York Univesity
- 6. University of Wisconsin
- 7. University of Oklahoma
- 8. Harvard University
- Stanislaw Rokita (4109)
- Author Affiliations
- 4109. Planetarium Wladyslawa Dziewulskiego, Toruń, Poland
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.