Dreyer, John Louis Emil
- Ian Elliott
- … show all 1 hide
BornCopenhagen, Denmark, 13 February 1852
DiedOxford, England, 14 September 1926
John Dreyer is noted for his meticulous compilation of the New General Catalogue of Nebulae and Star Clusters[NGC] and two supplementary catalogs, his important biography of Tycho Brahe, his collection of the papers of William Herschel, and an authoritative history of astronomy.
Dreyer spent most of his working life in Ireland, although he was born in Denmark to a family with distinguished military connections. His grandfather was an officer in Napoleon’s army, and his father, Lieutenant General John Christopher Dreyer, served in the Schleswig-Holstein War in 1864, later becoming Minister of War and Marine in the Danish government.
Dreyer attended school in Copenhagen from age 5 until 17, showing great ability in history, mathematics, and physics. At the age of 14, he happened to read a book about Brahe and his observatories on the island o ...
- Bennett, J. A. (1990). Church, State and Astronomy in Ireland: 200 Years of Armagh Observatory. Armagh: Armagh Observatory in association with the Institute of Irish Studies and the Queen’s University of Belfast.
- Dreyer, J. L. E. (1879). “A Supplement to Sir John Herschel’s ‘General Catalogue of Nebulae and Clusters of Stars.’ ” Transactions of the Royal Irish Academy of Science26: 381–426.
- — (1888). “A New General Catalogue of Nebulae and Clusters of Stars, Being the Catalogue of the Late Sir John F. W. Herschel, Bart., Revised, Corrected, and Enlarged.” Memoirs of the Royal Astronomical Society49: 1–237.
- — (1890). Tycho Brahe: A Picture of Scientific Life and Work in the Sixteenth Century. Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black.
- — (1895). “Index Catalogue of Nebulae Found in the Years 1888 to 1894, with Notes and Corrections to the New General Catalogue.” Memoirs of the Royal Astronomical Society51: 185–228.
- — (1906). History of the Planetary Systems from Thales to Kepler. Cambridge: University Press. (Revised, with a foreword by W. H. Stahl, as A History of Astronomy from Thales to Kepler. New York: Dover, 1953.)
- — (1910). “Second Index Catalogue of Nebulae and Clusters of Stars, Containing Objects Found in the Years 1895 to 1907, with Notes and Corrections to the New General Catalogue and to the Index Catalogue for 1888–94.” Memoirs of the Royal Astronomical Society59: 105–198.
- — (ed.) (1912). The Scientific Papers of Sir William Herschel. London.
- Dreyer, J. L. E. (ed.) (1913–1929). Tychonis Brahe Dani opera omnia. 15 Vols. Copenhagen.
- Rosse, Earl of (1879). “Observations of Nebulae and Clusters of Stars made with the Six-Foot and Three-Foot Reflectors at Birr Castle from 1848–1878.” Parts 1, 2, and 3. Scientific Transactions of the Royal Dublin Society, ser. 2, 2: 1–178.
- Dreyer, John Louis Emil
- Reference Work Title
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- pp 611-613
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Earth Science, University of Northern Iowa
- 2. University of California, Irvine School of Physical Sciences
- 3. Rice University
- 4. Whitman College
- 5. York Univesity
- 6. University of Wisconsin
- 7. University of Oklahoma
- 8. Harvard University
- Ian Elliott (489)
- Author Affiliations
- 489. Dunsink Observatory, Dublin, Ireland
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.