Dreyer, John Louis Emil
- Ian ElliottAffiliated withDunsink Observatory Email author
BornCopenhagen, Denmark, 13 February 1852
John Dreyer is noted for his meticulous compilation of the New General Catalogue of Nebulae and Star Clusters[NGC] and two supplementary catalogs, his important biography of Tycho Brahe, his collection of the papers of William Herschel, and an authoritative history of astronomy.
Dreyer spent most of his working life in Ireland, although he was born in Denmark to a family with distinguished military connections. His grandfather was an officer in Napoleon’s army, and his father, Lieutenant General John Christopher Dreyer, served in the Schleswig-Holstein War in 1864, later becoming Minister of War and Marine in the Danish government.
Dreyer attended school in Copenhagen from age 5 until 17, showing great ability in history, mathematics, and physics. At the age of 14, he happened to read a book about Brahe and his observatories on the island o ...
Reference Work Entry Metrics
- Dreyer, John Louis Emil
- Reference Work Title
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- pp 611-613
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Earth Science, University of Northern Iowa
- 2. University of California, Irvine School of Physical Sciences
- 3. Rice University
- 4. Whitman College
- 5. York Univesity
- 6. University of Wisconsin
- 7. University of Oklahoma
- 8. Harvard University
- Ian Elliott (489)
- Author Affiliations
- 489. Dunsink Observatory, Dublin, Ireland
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.