- Wolfgang Kokott
- … show all 1 hide
BornParis, France, 4 April 1688
DiedParis, France, 11 September 1768
Joseph-Nicolas Delisle was a teacher and observational astronomer noted for his work on comet prediction and transits. Delisle was the son of Claude Delisle, a historian, and Nicole-Charlotte Millet de la Croyère. Educated at the Collège Mazarin, he developed an early interest in astronomy. Joining the Académie royale des sciences formally in 1714 (as an associéto Giacomo Maraldi), Delisle was eventually appointed to the chair of mathematics at the Collège royal in 1718. He married about 1725, but had no children.
Delisle’s regular observations with his own equipment began in 1721; in the same year, he received an invitation from Peter the Great to found an observatory in Russia. From 1725 to 1747 Delisle worked at Saint Petersburg, training numerous students. Some of them later performed cartographic work intended to serve as raw material for an accurate map of the whole of Russia. In order to improve geographical longi ...
- Delambre, J. B. J. (1827). Histoire de l’astronomie au dix-huitième siécle. Paris: Bachelier.
- Pekarskii, Petr (1870). Histoire de l’Académie impériale des sciences de St. Petersburg. Paris.
- Woolf, Harry (1959). The Transits of Venus: A Study of Eighteenth-Century Science. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Delisle, Joseph-Nicolas
- Reference Work Title
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- pp 549-550
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Earth Science, University of Northern Iowa
- 2. University of California, Irvine School of Physical Sciences
- 3. Rice University
- 4. Whitman College
- 5. York Univesity
- 6. University of Wisconsin
- 7. University of Oklahoma
- 8. Harvard University
- Wolfgang Kokott (441)
- Author Affiliations
- 441. University of Munich, Munich, Germany
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.