Chladni, Ernst Florens Friedrich
- Ursula B. MarvinAffiliated withSmithsonian Center for Astrophysics, Harvard University Email author
BornWittenberg, (Germany), 30 November 1756
Ernst Chladni contributed significantly to the founding of modern meteoritics. He was the only child of Ernst Martin and Johanna Sophia Chladni. The family was originally from Kremnitz (Kremnica), Slovakia. Chladni’s grandfather and father were both professors of jurisprudence at Wittenberg. He never married.
Although he was educated by his parents in a strict, rather isolated household, Chladni developed a yearning for travel and a strong interest in the natural history of the Earth and the heavens. On his father’s bidding, Chladni studied law and philosophy at Wittenberg and Leipzig, where he earned his doctorate in 1782. His father died shortly afterward, leaving him free to pursue his own interests.
Chladni mastered mathematics and physics and conducted his earliest experiments on the vibrations of solid plates a ...
Reference Work Entry Metrics
- Chladni, Ernst Florens Friedrich
- Reference Work Title
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- pp 418-420
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Earth Science, University of Northern Iowa
- 2. University of California, Irvine School of Physical Sciences
- 3. Rice University
- 4. Whitman College
- 5. York Univesity
- 6. University of Wisconsin
- 7. University of Oklahoma
- 8. Harvard University
- Ursula B. Marvin (356)
- Author Affiliations
- 356. Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.