Chandler, Seth Carlo, Jr.
- Kunitomi Sakurai
- … show all 1 hide
BornBoston, Massachusetts, USA, 16 September 1846
DiedWellesley Hills, Massachusetts, USA, 31 December 1913
As a practical astronomer Seth Carlo Chandler discovered the periodic motions in the Earth’s polar axis, now known as the Chandler wobble, and made important contributions in the fields of variable star and cometary astronomy. Chandler also served as the editor and publisher of the Astronomical Journal.
The son of Seth Carlo and Mary (née Cheever) Chandler of Boston, Massachusetts, Chandler demonstrated his mechanical and mathematical abilities well before he graduated from the Boston English High School in 1861. During his last year in school, Chandler worked part-time as a computing assistant to Benjamin Peirce and was apparently attracted to astronomy in that experience. After his graduation, Chandler was employed as the personal assistant of Benjamin Gould, who was at that time engaged in longitude determinations for the United States Coast Survey. The two remained close friends ...
- Anon. (7 August 1898). “Our amateurs in science.” Sunday Herald (Boston), 27.
- Carter, WE, Carter, MS (1995) Seth Carlo Chandler, Jr. Biographical Memoirs, National Academy of Sciences 66: pp. 45-79
- Saladyga, M (1999) The ‘Pre-Embryonic’ State of the AAVSO: Amateur Observers of Variable Stars from 1875 to 1911. Journal of the American Association of Variable Star Observers 27: pp. 154-170
- Searle, A (1914) Seth Carlo Chandler. Popular Astronomy 22: pp. 271-274
- Turner, HH (1915) Seth Carlo Chandler. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 75: pp. 251-256
- Chandler, Seth Carlo, Jr.
- Reference Work Title
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- pp 402-404
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Earth Science, University of Northern Iowa
- 2. University of California, Irvine School of Physical Sciences
- 3. Rice University
- 4. Whitman College
- 5. York Univesity
- 6. University of Wisconsin
- 7. University of Oklahoma
- 8. Harvard University
- Kunitomi Sakurai (341)
- Author Affiliations
- 341. Kanagawa University, Yokohama, Japan
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.