- Marco Murara
- … show all 1 hide
BornCastel San Felice, (Umbria, Italy), 1635
DiedRome, (Italy), 28 July 1715
Giuseppe Campani was one of Europe’s foremost telescope makers and opticians in the seventeenth century. Born in a village near Spoleto, he came from a peasant family and had no university education. He soon went to Rome with his two brothers, one of whom was a cleric, the other a clockmaker. Campani learned clockmaking, probably studied optics at the Collegio Romano, and became skilful in grinding lenses.
In 1656 Campani, along with his brothers, made a silent night clock, which, when presented to Pope Alexander VII, brought him fame. He then became a full-time lens grinder, a trade carried out for nearly 50 years, constructing telescopes and lenses in Rome. He worked for important individuals all over Europe and for the Royal Observatory in Paris. The Pope and his nephew, Cardinal Flavio Chigi, remained among Campani’s most important patrons, but he also won the patronage of Ferdinand II, Grand Duke of Tuscany, ...
- Bedini, SA (1961) The Optical Workshop Equipment of Giuseppe Campani. Journal of the History of Medicine and Allied Sciences 16: pp. 18-38
- — Uncommon Genius: Giuseppe Campani and His Life and Times. Forthcoming.
- Bonelli, R, Luisa, M, Helden, A (1981) Divini and Campani: A Forgotten Chapter in the History of the Accademia del Cimento. Istituto e Museo di Storia della scienza, Florence
- Campani, Giuseppe
- Reference Work Title
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- pp 357-358
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Earth Science, University of Northern Iowa
- 2. University of California, Irvine School of Physical Sciences
- 3. Rice University
- 4. Whitman College
- 5. York Univesity
- 6. University of Wisconsin
- 7. University of Oklahoma
- 8. Harvard University
- Marco Murara (36)
- Author Affiliations
- 36. Egna, Italy
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.