Burnham, Sherburne Wesley
- Alan H. Batten
- … show all 1 hide
BornThetford, Vermont, USA, 12 December 1838
DiedChicago, Illinois, USA, 11 March 1921
Sherburne Burnham, the leading discoverer, observer, and cataloger of double stars in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, was the son of Roswell O. and Marinda (née Foote) Burnham. Educated only in the local district school and the Thetford Academy, Burnham received no formal postsecondary education. For most of his life, Burnham was an amateur astronomer in the sense that he did not earn his living by his astronomical work. After completing his schooling, he acquired knowledge of shorthand and was employed by a stenographic recording firm in New York City. That employment apparently involved a trip to Europe, for while in London in 1861, Burnham acquired his first telescope, a 3-in. refractor on a simple tripod.
During the US Civil War, Burnham ...
- Abney, William de Wiveleslie (1894). “Address Delivered by the President, Captain W. de W. Abney … on presenting the Gold Medal to Professor S. W. Burnham.” Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 54: 277–283.
- Barnard, EE (1921) Sherburne Wesley Burnham. Popular Astronomy 29: pp. 309-324
- Burnham, SW (1900) “A General Catalogue of 1290 Double Stars Discovered from 1871 to 1899: Introduction.”. Publications of the Yerkes Observatory of the University of Chicago 1: pp. vii-xxvii
- — (1906). A General Catalogue of Double Stars within 121° of the North Pole. Carnegie Institution of Washington Publication No. 5. Washington, DC: Carnegie Institution of Washington.
- — (1913). Measures of Proper Motions Made with the 40-inch Refractor of the Yerkes Observatory in the Years 1907 to 1912. Carnegie Institution of Washington Publication No. 168. Washington, DC: Carnegie Institution of Washington.
- Fox, P (1915) “General Account of the Dearborn Observatory.”. Annals of the Dearborn Observatory of Northwestern University 1: pp. 1-20
- Frost, EB (1921) Sherburne Wesley Burnham, 1838–1921. Astrophysical Journal 54: pp. 1-8
- Jackson, J (1922) Sherburne Wesley Burnham. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 82: pp. 258-263
- Burnham, Sherburne Wesley
- Reference Work Title
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- pp 343-346
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Earth Science, University of Northern Iowa
- 2. University of California, Irvine School of Physical Sciences
- 3. Rice University
- 4. Whitman College
- 5. York Univesity
- 6. University of Wisconsin
- 7. University of Oklahoma
- 8. Harvard University
- Alan H. Batten (2161)
- Author Affiliations
- 2161. National Research Council, Ottawa, ON, Canada
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.