Brück, Hermann Alexander
- Alastair G. Gunn
- … show all 1 hide
BornBerlin, Germany, 15 August 1905
DiedEdinburgh, Scotland, 4 March 2000
Hermann Brück was a distinguished astronomer responsible for the resurgence of interest in astronomy in postwar Ireland and for raising the Royal Observatory Edinburgh [ROE] to an internationally recognized research center. He served as Astronomer Royal for Scotland from 1957 to his retirement in 1975.
Brück was the only child of Hermann Heinrich Brück, an officer in the Prussian army who was killed in action during the battle of Lodz in 1914, and his wife Margaret. Educated at the Kaiserin Augusta Gymnasium, Charlottenburg, and famed for its teaching of Greek, Latin, and mathematics, Brück matriculated at Kiel University in 1924. After a period there and at Bonn University, he moved to Munich. He studied there under the eminent physicist Arnold Sommerfeld and in 1928 gained his doctorate, which concerned the wave mechanics of crystals. Brück fondly remembered this period, as a student of theoretical physics, throug ...
- Brand, Peter (2000). “Hermann Alexander Brück CBE, 1905–2000.” Astronomy and Geophysics 41, no. 6: 35.
- Brück, Hermann A. (1983). The Story of Astronomy in Edinburgh from Its Beginnings until 1975. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.
- — Brück, Hermann A. (2000). “Recollections of Life as a Student and a Young Astronomer in Germany in the 1920s.” Journal for Astronomical History and Heritage 3, no. 2: 115–129.
- Brück, Hermann A. and Mary T. Brück (1988). The Peripatetic Astronomer: The Life of Charles Piazzi Smyth. Bristol: Adam Hilger.
- Brück, Hermann A., G. V. Coyne, and M. S. Longair (eds.) (1982). Astrophysical Cosmology. Vatican City: Pontifical Academy of Sciences.
- Brück, Hermann Alexander
- Reference Work Title
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- pp 325-326
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Earth Science, University of Northern Iowa
- 2. University of California, Irvine School of Physical Sciences
- 3. Rice University
- 4. Whitman College
- 5. York Univesity
- 6. University of Wisconsin
- 7. University of Oklahoma
- 8. Harvard University
- Alastair G. Gunn (2149)
- Author Affiliations
- 2149. University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.