- Jeff Suzuki
- … show all 1 hide
BornSalem, Massachusetts, (USA), 26 March 1773
DiedBoston, Massachusetts, USA, 16 March 1838
Nathaniel Bowditch was already well recognized for his original contributions to astronomy when he translated, corrected, and annotated the first four volumes of Pierre de Laplace’s Méchanique céleste. His translation, published and distributed at his own expense, provided a foundation for American physical astronomy in the nineteenth century.
The fourth of seven children of Habakkuk and Mary (née Ingersoll) Bowditch, Nathaniel’s formal education stopped at the age of 10 when straitened financial conditions of the family forced him to go to work in his father’s cooperage. By 1785, Bowditch had learned the rudiments of accounting and entered a 9-year contract of indentured service as a clerk with a ship’s chandler. Living and working in the chandlery, he benefited from access to the owner’s extensive library, from which he continued to educate himself, learning Latin and mathematics while working a ...
- Albree, J (1992) Salem’s Bowditch. Mathematical Intelligencer 14: pp. 58-60
- Berry, Robert Elton (1941). Yankee Stargazer. McGraw-Hill.
- Bowditch, Nathaniel Ingersoll (1840). Memoir of Nathaniel Bowditch … Originally prefixed to the Fourth Volume of the Mécanique céleste. 2nd ed. Boston: Charles C. Little and James Brown, Publishers.
- Rothenberg, Marc (1999). “Bowditch, Nathaniel.” In American National Biography, edited by John A. Garraty and Mark C. Carnes. Vol. 3, pp. 270–272. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Bowditch, Nathaniel
- Reference Work Title
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- pp 288-290
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Earth Science, University of Northern Iowa
- 2. University of California, Irvine School of Physical Sciences
- 3. Rice University
- 4. Whitman College
- 5. York Univesity
- 6. University of Wisconsin
- 7. University of Oklahoma
- 8. Harvard University
- Jeff Suzuki (2123)
- Author Affiliations
- 2123. City University of New York, NY, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.