Bode, Johann Elert
- Wolfgang Kokott
- … show all 1 hide
BornHamburg, (Germany), 19 January 1747
DiedBerlin, (Germany), 23 November 1826
Johann Bode directed the observatory of the Royal Academy of Sciences (Berlin), helped to publicize an important “law” regarding the planets’ distances from the Sun, and published an important reference work (the Astronomisches Jarhbuch) for more than 50 years. He was the son of Johann Jakob Bode and his wife Anna Margarete (née Kruse).
Following a basic education at his father’s business school, Bode acquired an astronomical proficiency on his own, putting to good use the encouragement provided by several local citizens. On the strength of his early publications, he was offered an appointment (1772) at Berlin by Johann Lambert as calculator for the Astronomisches Jahrbuch, to be issued by the Royal Academy of Sciences. Following Lambert’s death in 1777, Bode took over as editor of the yearbook. In 1786, he became a ...
- Encke, Johann Franz (1827). “Gedaechtnissrede auf Johann Elert Bode.” Abhandlungen, Akademie der Wissenschaften. Berlin.
- Kokott, Wolfgang (2002). “Bode’s Astronomisches Jahrbuch als internationales Archivjournal.” In Astronomie von Olbers bis Schwarzschild, edited by Wolfgang R. Dick, pp. 142–157. Acta Historica Astronomiae, Vol. 14. Frankfurt am Main: Harri Deutsch.
- Schwemin, Friedhelm (1982). “Johann Elert Bode: Skizze zu Leben und Werk.” Sitzungsberichte Gesellschaft Naturforschender Freunde zu Berlin, n.s., 22: 99–117.
- — (1985). “Johann Elert Bode, der bedeutende Berliner Astronom.” Mitteilungen Verein für die Geschichte Berlins 81: 282–287.
- Sticker, Bernhard (1970). “Bode, Johann Elert.” In Dictionary of Scientific Biography, edited by Charles Coulston Gillispie. Vol. 2, pp. 220–221. New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons.
- Bode, Johann Elert
- Reference Work Title
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- pp 251-253
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Earth Science, University of Northern Iowa
- 2. University of California, Irvine School of Physical Sciences
- 3. Rice University
- 4. Whitman College
- 5. York Univesity
- 6. University of Wisconsin
- 7. University of Oklahoma
- 8. Harvard University
- Wolfgang Kokott (2101)
- Author Affiliations
- 2101. University of Munich, Munich, Germany
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.