- Dorrit Hoffleit
- … show all 1 hide
BornLondon, England, 21 March 1903
DiedSan Francisco, California, USA, 31 January 1997
American astronomer and educator Louis Berman carried out the first detailed analysis of the spectrum of a star, which showed that it demonstrably had a different chemical composition from that of the Sun. That star, R Coronae Borealis, was very rich in carbon.
Louis Berman was the son of George and Jennie Berman, immigrants from Lithuania to England, who arrived in Saint Paul, Minnesota, when he was 3 years old. Berman entered the University of Minnesota where he earned his AB in 1925 and AM in 1927 and was also assistant at the observatory (1925–1927). He was then awarded a Lick Observatory Fellowship at the University of California where Berman earned his Ph.D. in astrophysics in 1929. By then he had already published six papers, five of them deal ...
- Anon. (1992). “Berman, Louis.” In American Men and Women of Science, 1992–93. 18th ed. Vol. 1, p. 500. New Providence, New Jersey: R. R. Bowker
- Berman, Louis (1969). “The 80th Anniversary of The Astronomical Society of the Pacific.” Astronomical Society of the Pacific Leaflet, no. 476
- — (1970). “The Wayward Heavens in Literature.” Astronomical Society of the Pacific Leaflet, no. 488
- — (1973). Exploring the Cosmos. Boston: Little, Brown and Co.
- — (1980). “On Teaching a Course: Life on Other Worlds.” Bulletin of the American Astronomical Society: 667. (Paper abstract.)
- Osterbrock, Donald E. (1997). “Louis Berman, 1903–1997.” Bulletin of the American Astronomical Society 29: 1468–1469.
- Berman, Louis
- Reference Work Title
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- pp 201-202
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Earth Science, University of Northern Iowa
- 2. University of California, Irvine School of Physical Sciences
- 3. Rice University
- 4. Whitman College
- 5. York Univesity
- 6. University of Wisconsin
- 7. University of Oklahoma
- 8. Harvard University
- Dorrit Hoffleit (263)
- Author Affiliations
- 263. Yale University, New Haven, CT, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.