Bates, David Robert
- Alex Dalgarno
- … show all 1 hide
BornOmagh, Northern Ireland, 10 November 1916
DiedBelfast, Northern Ireland, 5 January 1994
Sir David Bates carried out innovative research in atomic, molecular, and optical physics, which he applied to problems of aeronomy and astronomy. He was educated at the Royal Belfast Academic Institution in Belfast, after which he entered the faculty of science of the Queen’s University of Belfast. He graduated in 1937 with B.Sc. degrees in experimental physics and mathematical physics, obtaining first-class honors in both. In 1938, Bates was awarded the M.Sc. degree. He married Barbara Morris in 1956, and they had two children, Kathryn Maud and Adam David.
After wartime research and before departing for Belfast in 1951, Bates was lecturer in the Department of mathematics and then reader in the Department of Physics at University College London. He was professor and head of the Department of Applied Mathematics of the Queen’s University of Belfast from 1951 to 1973, and then occupied a special res ...
- Bates, David R. (1983). “Scientific Reminiscences.” In Proceedings of the International Symposium on Atomic, Molecular and Solid-State Theory, Collision Phenomena, and Computational Quantum Chemistry, edited by Per-Olov Löwden, pp. 5–32. International Journal Of Quantum Chemistry, Quantum Chemistry Symposium, no. 17. New York: John Wiley and Sons.
- Burke, P. G. and D. S. F. Crothers (1996). “Professor Sir David Bates, FRS.” Comments on Atomic and Molecular Physics 32: 127–130.
- Dalgarno, Alexander (1997). “Sir David Robert Bates.” Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society 43: 47–71.
- Bates, David Robert
- Reference Work Title
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- pp 170-171
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Earth Science, University of Northern Iowa
- 2. University of California, Irvine School of Physical Sciences
- 3. Rice University
- 4. Whitman College
- 5. York Univesity
- 6. University of Wisconsin
- 7. University of Oklahoma
- 8. Harvard University
- Alex Dalgarno (238)
- Author Affiliations
- 238. Department of Astronomy, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.