Baldwin, Ralph Belknap
- Craig B. Waff
- … show all 1 hide
BornGrand Rapids, Michigan, USA, 6 June 1912
DiedNaples, Florida, USA, 23 October 2010
Astronomer and businessman Ralph Baldwin received bachelor’s and master’s degrees in astronomy and a Ph.D. in astrophysics from the University of Michigan, where he was a student of Heber Curtis and Dean McLaughlin. After completing his doctoral dissertation in 1937, on the spectroscopic study of novae, Baldwin taught at the University of Pennsylvania (1937–1938) and Northwestern University (1938–1942) while continuing work on the development of physical models of novae and unusual binary stars. In 1942, Baldwin accepted an appointment as a senior physicist at the Johns Hopkins University’s Applied Physics Laboratory, where, in a wartime group led by the geophysicist Merle Tuve, he helped to develop the radio proximity fuze.
In 1947, Baldwin returned home to Grand Rapids to help run the family business, Oliver Machinery Company. Between then and his retirement in 1984, he rose from product manager to ch ...
- Baldwin, Ralph B. (1949). The Face of the Moon. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- — (1963). The Measure of the Moon. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- — (1965). A Fundamental Survey of the Moon. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Doel, Ronald E. (1996). Solar System Astronomy in America: Communities, Patronage, and Interdisciplinary Science, 1920–1960. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, esp. pp. 161–169.
- Hoyt, William Graves (1987). Coon Mountain Controversies: Meteor Crater and the Development of Impact Theory. Tucson: University of Arizona Press, esp. pp. 357–360.
- Wilhelms, Don E. (1993). To a Rocky Moon: A Geologist’s History of Lunar Exploration. Tucson: University of Arizona Press, esp. pp. 14–19.
- Baldwin, Ralph Belknap
- Reference Work Title
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- pp 150-151
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Earth Science, University of Northern Iowa
- 2. University of California, Irvine School of Physical Sciences
- 3. Rice University
- 4. Whitman College
- 5. York Univesity
- 6. University of Wisconsin
- 7. University of Oklahoma
- 8. Harvard University
- Craig B. Waff (217)
- Author Affiliations
- 217. Dayton, OH, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.