Autism Behavior Checklist
- Dr. Arlette Cassidy
- … show all 1 hide
The Autism Behavior Checklist (ABC) is one component of the Autism Screening Instrument for Educational Planning (ASIEP) and is the only one that has been evaluated psychometrically. The ABC is a 57-item behavior rating scale assessing the behaviors and symptoms of autism for children 3 and older. The instrument consists of a list of 57 questions divided into five categories: (1) sensory, (2) relating, (3) body and object use, (4) language, and (5) social and self-help. Each item has a weighted score ranging from 1 to 4. The ABC is designed to be completed independently by a parent or a teacher familiar with the child for at least 3–6 weeks. It should take from 10 to 20 min to complete. The protocol is then returned to a trained professional for scoring and interpretation.
The Autism Behavior Checklist (ABC) was published in 1980 and is part of a broader tool, the Autism Screening Instrument for Education ...
- Coonrod, E. E., & Stone, W. L. (2005). Screening for autism in young children. In F. R. Volkmar, R. Paul, A. Klin, & D. Cohen (Eds.), Handbook of autism and pervasive developmental disorders (Assessment, interventions, and policy, Vol. 2). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.
- Krug, D. A., Arisk, J. R., & Almond, P. J. (1980a). Autism screening instrument for educational planning. Austin, TX: ProEd.
- Krug, D. A., Arisk, J. R., & Almond, P. J. (1980b). Behavior checklist for identifying severely handicapped individuals with high levels of autistic behavior. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines, 21(3), 221–229.
- Krug, D. A., Arisk, J. R., & Almond, P. J. (1993). Autism screening instrument for educational planning (2nd ed.). Austin, TX: ProEd.
- Lord, C., & Corsello, C. (2005). Diagnostic instruments in autism spectrum disorders. In F. R. Volkmar, R. Paul, A. Klin, & D. Cohen (Eds.), Handbook of autism and pervasive developmental disorders (Assessment, interventions, and policy, Vol. 2). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.
- Volkmar, F. R., Cicchetti, D. V., Dykens, E., Sparrow, S. S., Leckman, J. F., & Cohen, D. J. (1988). An evaluation of the autism behavior checklist. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 18(1), 81–97.
- Autism Behavior Checklist
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Autism Spectrum Disorders
- pp 342-343
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Fred R. Volkmar (1)
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Irving B. Harris Professor of Child Psychiatry, Pediatrics and Psychology Yale University School of Medicine, Chief, Child Psychiatry Children's Hospital at Yale-New Haven Child Study Center
- Dr. Arlette Cassidy (13671)
- Author Affiliations
- 13671. Psychologist, The Gengras Center, University of Saint Joseph, 1678 Asylum Avenue, West Hartford, CT, 06117-2791, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.