- Dr. Jan De Houwer
- … show all 1 hide
Affective conditioning; Affective learning; Associative transfer of valence; Evaluative learning
Evaluative conditioning is most often defined as an effect rather than as a mental or neural process. As an effect, evaluative conditioning is a change in the valence of a stimulus that is due to the prior pairings of that stimulus with another stimulus (De Houwer 2007). The first stimulus is most often referred to as the conditioned stimulus (CS). The second stimulus is called the unconditioned stimulus (US). Evaluative conditioning is a subset of Pavlovian conditioning. Whereas Pavlovian conditioning can refer to any type of change that results from the pairing of stimuli, evaluative conditioning by definition involves a change in liking. Evaluative conditioning differs from other learned changes in liking (e.g., the mere exposure effect) in that the change in liking is due to the pairing of stimuli rather than other regularities in the environment (e.g. ...
- De Houwer, J. (2007). A conceptual and theoretical analysis of evaluative conditioning. The Spanish Journal of Psychology, 10, 230–241.
- De Houwer, J., Thomas, S., & Baeyens, F. (2001). Associative learning of likes and dislikes: A review of 25 years of research on human evaluative conditioning. Psychological Bulletin, 127, 853–869. CrossRef
- Hofmann, W., De Houwer, J., Perugini, M., Baeyens, F., & Crombez, G. (2010). Evaluative conditioning in humans: A meta-analysis. Psychological Bulletin, 136, 390–421. CrossRef
- Levey, A. B., & Martin, I. (1975). Classical conditioning of human evaluative responses. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 4, 205–207.
- Pleyers, G., Corneille, O., Yzerbyt, V., & Luminet, O. (2009). Evaluative conditioning incurs attentional costs. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Animal Behavior Processes, 35, 279–285. CrossRef
- Walther, E., Nagengast, B., & Traselli, C. (2005). Evaluative conditioning in social psychology: Facts and speculations. Cognition and Emotion, 19, 175–196.
- Evaluative Conditioning
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of the Sciences of Learning
- pp 1179-1181
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.