- Robyn Fielder
- … show all 1 hide
Sexual functioning is characterized by absence of difficulty moving through the stages of sexual desire, arousal, and orgasm, as well as subjective satisfaction with the frequency and outcome of individual and partnered sexual behavior.
Sexual functioning is an important aspect of quality of life. Our understanding of sexual functioning is influenced by not only the current state of medical knowledge but also the social values upheld in our culture. Healthy sexual functioning is characterized by a lack of pain or discomfort during sexual activity and a lack of physiological difficulty moving through the three-phase sexual response cycle of desire, arousal, and orgasm. In addition, sexual functioning is indicated by subjective feelings of satisfaction with the frequency of sexual desire and sexual behavior, as well as subjective pleasure during individual and partnered sexual activity.
Kaplan’s three-phase model i ...
- American Psychiatric Association. (2000). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (4th ed., text revision). Washington, DC: Author.
- Balon, R, Segraves, RT eds. (2005) Handbook of sexual dysfunction. Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton, FL
- Balon, R, Segraves, RT eds. (2009) Clinical manual of sexual disorders. American Psychiatric Publishing, Arlington, VA
- Carey, MP, Gordon, CM Sexual dysfunction among heterosexual adults: Description, epidemiology, assessment, and treatment. In: Diamant, L, McAnulty, R eds. (1995) The psychology of sexual orientation, behavior, and identity: A handbook. Greenwood, Westport, CT, pp. 165-196
- Fagan, PJ (2004) Sexual disorders: Perspectives on diagnosis and treatment. The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, MD
- IsHak, WW eds. (2008) The guidebook of sexual medicine. A & W Publishing, Beverly Hills, CA
- Maurice, WL (1999) Sexual medicine in primary care. Mosby, St. Louis, MO
- Nusbaum, M, Rosenfeld, JA (2005) Sexual health across the lifecycle: A practical guide for clinicians. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge
- Rowland, DL, Incrocci, L eds. (2008) Handbook of sexual and gender identity disorders. Wiley, Hoboken, NJ
- Wincze, JP, Carey, MP (2001) Sexual dysfunction: Guide for assessment and treatment. Guilford, New York
- Sexual Functioning
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Behavioral Medicine
- pp 1774-1777
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Behavioral Medicine Research Center, Department of Psychology, University of Miami
- 2. Cardiovascular Safety, Quintiles
- Robyn Fielder (06681)
- Author Affiliations
- 06681. Center for Health and Behavior, Syracuse University, 430 Huntington Hall, Syracuse, NY, 13244, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.