- Hristina Vlajinac
- … show all 1 hide
A cause of a disease can be defined as an event, condition, or characteristic that plays an essential role in producing an occurrence of the disease (Rothman 1986).
The most important aim of epidemiology is to identify the causes and the risk factors of a disease, and to improve public health by reducing or eliminating exposure to these factors.
Epidemiological – Ecological Models
A disease is a result of the interaction of host factors and the environment. Several models have been developed in order to depict the ways in which these interactions influence the occurrence of the disease: the triangle, the wheel, and the web of causation.
The triangle – This model consists of three components, agent, host, and environment, which are in a kind of dynamic equilibrium. Change in any of these components will alter an existing equilibrium and increase or decrease the frequency of the disease. This model has been the most frequently app ...
- Bhopal, R (2002) Concepts of Epidemiology: An integrated introduction to the ideas, theories, principles and methods of epidemiology. Oxford University Press, Oxford
- Gordis, L (2004) Epidemiology. Elsevier Saunders, Philadelphia
- Hill, B (1965) The environment and disease: Association or causation. Proc Roy Soc Med 58: pp. 295-300
- Last, J (2001) A Dictionary of Epidemiology. Oxford University Press, New York
- Mausner, J, Kramer, S (1985) Epidemiology. WB Saunders, Philadelphia
- Rothman, K (1986) Modern Epidemiology. Little Brown, Boston
- Rothman, K, Greenland, S (1998) Modern Epidemiology. Lippincott – Raven Publishers, Philadelphia
- Rothman, K, Greenland, S Basic Concept. In: Ahrens, W, Pigeot, I eds. (2005) Handbook of Epidemiology. Springer, Berlin, pp. 45-57
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Public Health
- pp 101-104
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Wilhelm Kirch (1)
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Network EUROlifestyle Research Association Public Health Saxony-Saxony Anhalt e.V. Medical Faculty, University of Technology
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Epidemiology, School of Medicine, University of Belgrade, Belgrade, Serbia
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.