- Andrea DeJongeAffiliated withBusiness Development/Technology Transfer Office, Van Andel Institute
Address of Organization
601 E Street NW Washington, DC 20049 USA www.aarp.org
Originally known as the American Association of Retired Persons, AARP is an enormous association dedicated to enhancing the quality of life of the aging population. The motto of its constituents is “To Serve, and Not Be Served.” Membership is restricted to persons over fifty, and at the time of this writing AARP claims to have over 40 million US members. AARP and its related organizations provide services, advocacy, and education for its members. It actively lobbies for health-related issues such as Medicare and prescription drug coverage, as well as Social Security.
In 1947, Dr. Ethel Percy Andrus, a retired high school principle, founded the National Retired Teachers Association (NRTA) when she discovered that private health insurance was not available to retired educators. Ten years later, after success in finding health resources and pr ...
- Reference Work Title
- International Encyclopedia of Civil Society
- pp 1-2
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. University of Heidelberg
- 2. Hertie School of Governance
- 3. George Mason University
- Andrea DeJonge (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Business Development/Technology Transfer Office, Van Andel Institute, 333 Bostwick Ave., NE, 49503, Grand Rapids, Mchigan, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.