- Tymen van der Ploeg
- … show all 1 hide
Generally, a foundation can be characterized as an amount of assets managed by an independent management board that is set aside to be used for the interests of those other than the establishers and/or members of the management board. In most countries, this separation of assets from the original owner is specifically recognized when the assets are used for purposes of public benefit. The concept of foundation is connected with the so-called non-distribution constraint, which means that establishers and board members may not receive profit from the foundation.
The legal position of the foundation is different, dependent on the legal family to which the country belongs. In European-continental countries and in former colonies of these countries, foundations are a separate legal person form, which can be distinguished from the other legal form for nonprofit organizations, the associations, by their lack of (voting) members. In the Anglo-American legal family, the f ...
- Fishman, J., & Stephen, S. (2006). Nonprofit organizations (3rd ed.) New York: Foundation Press.
- Hondius, F. W., & Ploeg, T. J. van der (2000), Foundations, J.C. Mohr (Paul Siebeck) Tübingen 2000 and Vol. XIII, Chapter 9 of The international encyclopedia of comparative law, Dordrecht, M. Nijhoff.
- Hopkins, B., & Blazek, J. (2003). Private foundations: Tax law and compliance. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
- Hopt, K. J., & Reuter, D. (2001). Stiftungsrecht in Europa. Köln: Carl Heymanns Verlag.
- Hopt, K. J., Walz, R., von Hippel, T., & Then, V. (Eds.) (2006). The European foundation, a new legal approach. Gütersloh: Verlag Bertelsmann Stiftung.
- Koele, I. A. (2007). International taxation of philanthropy. Amsterdam: IBDF.
- Richter, A., & Wachter, T. (2007). Handbuch des internationalen Stiftungsrechts. Angelbachtal: Zerb Verlag.
- Simon, J. G., Dale, H. P., & Chisholm, L. B. (2006). The tax treatment of charitable organizations. In W. W. Powell & R. Steinberg, The nonprofit sector: A research handbook (2nd ed.). New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.
- Law, Foundations
- Reference Work Title
- International Encyclopedia of Civil Society
- pp 924-928
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. University of Heidelberg
- 2. Hertie School of Governance
- 3. George Mason University
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Civil Law, Section Company Law (law on legal persons), VU-University, Faculty of Law, De Boelelaan 1105, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.