Address of Organization
114 avenue du Général Leclerc 95480 Pierrelaye France www.atd-fourthworld.org
The international NGO Aide à Toute Détresse Quart-Monde (ATD Quart-Monde or ATD Fourth World, in English) mobilizes poor families and communities in housing estates, slums, and isolated towns, researches issues of poverty with the participation of those affected, and informs public opinion. It does this with help from the members of its international Volunteer Corps.
In 1956, Father Joseph Wresinski (1917–1988), the son of a poor immigrant family, was assigned by his bishop to be a chaplain to 250 families placed in an emergency housing camp in Noisy-le-Grand, near Paris, France. In 1957, Wresinski and the families of the camp founded an association, which was later to become ATD Quart-Monde. Wresinski chose the term “Quart-Monde,” or “Fourth World,” to represent all people needing help, not only those in the so-call ...
- Fourth World University Research Group (2007). The merging of knowledge. People in poverty and academics thinking together. Lanham, MD: University Press of America.
- Godinot, X., & Wodon, Q. (2006). Participatory approaches to attacking extreme poverty: case studies led by the International Movement ATD Fourth World. World Bank.Washington, DC:
- Wresinski, J. (1994). Chronic poverty and lack of basic security. A report of the economic and social council of France. 1. ed. Landover, MD: Fourth World Publications.
- ATD Quart-Monde
- Reference Work Title
- International Encyclopedia of Civil Society
- pp 53-54
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. University of Heidelberg
- 2. Hertie School of Governance
- 3. George Mason University
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Centre for Social Investment, Universitaet Heidelberg, Schillerstrasse 4-8, Heidelberg 69115, Germany
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.