Association Française contre les Myopathies
- Anael LabigneAffiliated withCentre for Social Investment, Universitaet Heidelberg
- , Regina ListAffiliated withCentre for Social Investment, Universitaet Heidelberg
Address of Organization
1, rue de l'Internationale BP 59 91 002 Evry Cedex France www.afm-france.org
The Association Française contre les Myopathies (AFM) was established in 1958 and is one of the most active of many organizations focused on supporting medical research to cure genetic diseases and on bettering the living conditions of people afflicted by diseases. AFM is a nonprofit association regulated by the French law of 1901.
After having been founded in 1958 by a group of patients and their families, AFM was recognized as being of public utility by decree of March 26, 1976.
In December 1987, AFM launched the first French telethon fundraising campaign. The idea of the telethon was “imported” from the United States in 1986 by Pierre Birambeau, a French entrepreneur whose child was affected by myopathy. He was looking for sponsoring and resources and went therefore to New York to learn about the telethon mechanism. ...
Reference Work Entry Metrics
- Association Française contre les Myopathies
- Reference Work Title
- International Encyclopedia of Civil Society
- pp 36-37
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. University of Heidelberg
- 2. Hertie School of Governance
- 3. George Mason University
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Centre for Social Investment, Universitaet Heidelberg, Schillerstrasse 4-8, Heidelberg, 69115, Germany
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.