Aga Khan Foundation
Address of Organization
1-3 avenue de la Paix 1202 Geneva Case Postale 2369 1211 Geneva 2 Switzerland www.akdn.org
The Aga Khan Foundation (AKF) is one of the largest international nongovernmental organizations with outreach in 16 countries. The organization with more than 3,000 staff is now busy doing profitable and nonprofit activities from North to South.
The AKF was founded in 1967 in Geneva by the Prince Karim “Aga Khan” to work for the development of marginalized areas in the developing world. As part of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN), AKF is a “private, not-for-profit, non-denominational, development agency” (AKF, 2008), and due to the visionary chairpersonship, the Foundation is now widely accepted as a development and philanthropic organization.
AKF was established to turn various international development agencies to the poorest parts of the world (Ebrahim, 2002). ...
- Aga Khan Development Network (2002). Geneva Briefing Book. Geneva, Switzerland: AKF.
- Aga Khan Foundation (2008). Annual report. Geneva, Switzerland: AKF.
- Ebrahim, A. (2002). Information struggles: The role of information in the reproduction of NGO-funder relationships. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 31(1), 84–114.
- Kaiser, P. (1995). State-society relations in an international context: The case of Aga Khan health-care initiatives in Tanzania. International Journal of Comparative Sociology, 36(3–4), 184–197.
- Machiwala, I. (2008). Aga Khan Education Services (akes), from http://www.articlesbase.com/education-articles/aga-khan-education-services-akes-366652.html
- Shamatov, D. A. et al. (2005). Reconceptualization of teacher education: Experiences from the context of a multicultural developing country. Journal of Transformative Education, 3(3), 271–288.
- Smith, S. E. (1997). Increasing transcultural awareness: The McMaster-Aga Khan-CIDA Project workshop model. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 8(2), 23–31.
- Aga Khan Foundation
- Reference Work Title
- International Encyclopedia of Civil Society
- pp 18-19
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. University of Heidelberg
- 2. Hertie School of Governance
- 3. George Mason University
- Author Affiliations
- 1. RRDP/SERD, Asian Institute of Technology, Klong Luang, Pathumthani, 12120, Thailand, P.O. Box4
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.