Newton’s Law of Viscosity, Newtonian and Non-Newtonian Fluids
Viscosity is the physical property that characterizes the flow resistance of simple fluids. Newton’s law of viscosity defines the relationship between the shear stress and shear rate of a fluid subjected to a mechanical stress. The ratio of shear stress to shear rate is a constant, for a given temperature and pressure, and is defined as the viscosity or coefficient of viscosity. Newtonian fluids obey Newton’s law of viscosity. The viscosity is independent of the shear rate.
Non-Newtonian fluids do not follow Newton’s law and, thus, their viscosity (ratio of shear stress to shear rate) is not constant and is dependent on the shear rate.
Dynamic viscosity is the coefficient of viscosity as defined in Newton’s law of viscosity. Kinematic viscosity is the dynamic viscosity divided by the density.
Newton’s law of viscosity can be developed b ...
- H.A. Barnes, J.F. Hutton, K. Walters, An Introduction to Rheology (Elsevier, New York, 1989)
- R. Bird, W. Stewart, E. Lightfoot, Transport Phenomena (Wiley, New York, 1960)
- J. Briant, J. Denis, G. Parc, Rheological Properties of Lubricants (Editions Technip, Paris, 1989)
- R. Larson, The Structure and Rheology of Complex Fluids (Oxford University Press, New York, 1999)
- F. Morrison, Understanding Rheology (Oxford University Press, New York, 2001)
- L. Nielson, Polymer Rheology (Marcel Dekker, New York, 1977)
- Newton’s Law of Viscosity, Newtonian and Non-Newtonian Fluids
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Tribology
- pp 2416-2420
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mechanical Engineering and Center for Surface Engineering and Tribology, Northwestern University
- 2. Department of Materials Science and Engineering and Center for Surface Engineering and Tribology, Northwestern University
- Author Affiliations
- 01431. Applied Science, The Lubrizol Corporation, 29400 Lakeland Blvd., Wickliffe, OH, 44092, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.