Vineland Social Maturity Scales
- Sara S. Sparrow
- … show all 1 hide
The Vineland Social Maturity Scales (VSMS), published by Edgar Doll in 1935, measures social maturity or social competence in individuals from birth to adulthood. The test is no longer available but represents an important historical contribution to the assessment of adaptive behavior or those behaviors that lead to personal independence and social responsibility. Doll classified eight categories of items on the VSMS (Doll, 1935): self-help general, self-help dressing, self-help eating, communication, self-direction, socialization, locomotion, and occupation. Although there is some difference of opinion as to whether Doll’s categorization is the best, the perception of adaptive behavior as multidimensional has survived from one generation to the next. The VSMS has 117 items using Stanford Binet year-scale format in the record booklet. Each age level, however, does not measure all the eight categories resulting in limited item density for all th ...
- Doll, E. A. (1935). A genetic scale of social maturity. The American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 5, 180–188.
- Doll, E. A. (1940). The social basis of mental diagnosis. Journal of Applied Psychology, 24, 160–169.
- Doll, E. A. (1953). Measurement of social competence. Circle Pines, MN: American Guidance Service Inc.
- Sparrow, S. S., Balla, D. A., & Cicchetti, D. V. (1984a). The Vineland adaptive behavior scales: Interview edition, survey form. Circle Pines, MN: American Guidance Service.
- Sparrow, S. S., Balla, D. A., & Cicchetti, D. V. (1984b). The Vineland adaptive behavior scales: Interview edition, expanded form. Circle Pines, MN: American Guidance Service.
- Sparrow, S. S., Balla, D. A., & Cicchetti, D. V. (1985). The Vineland adaptive behavior scales: Classroom edition. Circle Pines, MN: American Guidance Service.
- Sparrow, S. S., Cicchetti, D. V., & Balla, D. A. (2005). Vineland adaptive behavior scales: Second edition (Vineland II), survey interview form/caregiver rating form. Livonia, MN: Pearson Assessments.
- Sparrow, S. S., Cicchetti, D. V., & Balla, D. A. (2008). Vineland adaptive behavior scales: Second edition (Vineland II), The expanded interview form. Livonia, MN: Pearson Assessments.
- Vineland Social Maturity Scales
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Clinical Neuropsychology
- pp 2621-2622
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 671. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, and Professor of Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry Virginia Commonwealth University – Medical Center Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- 672. Kessler Foundation Research Center
- 673. Professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, and Neurology and Neuroscience, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey – New Jersey Medical School
- 674. Independent Practice
- Sara S. Sparrow (2238) (2239)
- Author Affiliations
- 2238. 94, Linsley Lake Road, 6171, North Branford, CT, USA
- 2239. Yale University Child Study Center, 230 South Frontage Road, 06471, New Haven, CT, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.