Auditory discrimination is the ability to recognize differences in phonemes (the smallest unit of sound in a language), including the ability to identify words and sounds that are similar and those that are different. Auditory discrimination tests are performed to measure a person’s phonological awareness, such as the ability to focus on and manipulate phonemes within spoken words. Impaired auditory discrimination should be addressed early in child development as it is pertinent to learning and development.
- Gordon-Brannan, M. E., & Weiss, C. E. (2008). Clinical management of articulatory and phonologic disorders (3rd ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Moller, A. R. (2000). Hearing: Its physiology and pathophysiology. San Diego, CA: Academic Press.
- Warren, R. M. (1999). Auditory perception: A new synthesis (2nd ed.). New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Warren, R. M. (2008). Auditory perception: An analysis and synthesis (3rd ed.). New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Auditory Discrimination
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Clinical Neuropsychology
- pp 301-302
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 671. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, and Professor of Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry Virginia Commonwealth University – Medical Center Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- 672. Kessler Foundation Research Center
- 673. Professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, and Neurology and Neuroscience, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey – New Jersey Medical School
- 674. Independent Practice
- Author Affiliations
- 1229. Imaging of Dementia & Aging (IDeA) Laboratory, Department of Neurology & Center for Neuroscience, University of California, Davis, CA, USA
- 1230. Director, Rehabilitation Research, Santa Clara Valley Medical Center Rehabilitation Research Center, 751 South Bascom Ave., 95128, San Jose, CA, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.