- Judit Simo
- … show all 1 hide
A variety of a language with its own rules, different from other varieties of the same language in terms of pronunciation, vocabulary, and structure.
Dialects are considered regional and social varieties of a language, although in certain linguistic situations it is difficult to draw the line between language and dialect . The most noticeable differences among dialects surface in pronunciation, grammar, and vocabulary. Regional dialects are characteristic of certain geographical areas. The boundaries of a regional dialect, which rely on the co-occurrence of several isoglosses, are often not easy to draw, especially since no person speaks exactly the same dialect . Nevertheless, dialect regions are distinguished where several linguistic variables differ from one area to the next. Regional dialects differ in the extent to which they are likely to pass on features to or inherit them fr ...
- Labov, W. (1966). The social stratification of English in New York City. Washington, DC: Center for Applied Linguistics.
- Langacker, R. W. (1967). Language and its structure. New York: Harcourt Brace.
- Preston, D. R. (1998). Two heartland perceptions of language variety. In M. D. Linn (Ed.), Handbook of dialects and language variation (2nd ed., pp. 343–373). San Diego: Academic Press.
- Trudgill, P. (1974). The social differentiation of English in Norwich. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Wardhaugh, R. (2002). An introduction to sociolinguistics (4th ed.). Malden, MA: Blackwell.
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Child Behavior and Development
- pp 501-502
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 480. Neurology, Learning and Behavior Center
- 481. Department of Psychology MS 2C6, George Mason University
- Judit Simo (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. English Department, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.