- Marie C. McGrath
- … show all 1 hide
Age equivalents; Developmental milestones; Developmental stages; Grade equivalents
Defined standards of typical performance by which a child’s development in a variety of domains can be measured.
Developmental norms are used to assess whether infants, toddlers, children, and/or adolescents are developing cognitive, communication, motor, socioemotional, and adaptive skills at approximately the same rate as their peers. Developmental measures establish typical levels of performance for the test’s target population (based on the performance of the test’s norm sample) in each of the age group or grade levels that the target population comprises; test-takers are assigned age equivalent or grade equivalent scores based on the median raw score for that chronological age or grade level. For example, a 36-month-old child whose overall performance on a measure of motor functioning was equivalent to that of the typical 24-month-old child in ...
- Anastasi, A., & Urbina, S. (1997). Psychological testing (7th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Kamphaus, R. W., & Frick, P. J. (2005). Clinical assessment of child and adolescent personality and behavior (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Springer.
- Murphy, K. M., & Davidshofer, C. O. (2005). Psychological testing: Principles and applications (6th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Valdivia, R. (1999). The implications of culture on developmental delay (ERIC Digest E589). Retrieved December 17, 2008, from http://www.ericdigests.org/2000-4/delay.htm
- Developmental Norms
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Child Behavior and Development
- p 493
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 480. Neurology, Learning and Behavior Center
- 481. Department of Psychology MS 2C6, George Mason University
- Marie C. McGrath (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Graduate Psychology, Immaculata University, 1145 King Road, Immaculata, PA, 19345, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.