Cross-Culture Perspective on Bereavement Springer
- Anne Fierro Vanderlaan
- … show all 1 hide
The reactions to bereavement or loss of loved one from death or loss of a relationship. These feelings of loss may bring about grief.
Various cultures have diverse ways in the way they experience bereavement. There are many ways that grief or mourning may be expressed. In the United States, for example, the families of the deceased may continue to talk about the person as if he or she were still alive. The cross-culture perspective on bereavement depends upon various ways cultures suffer losses. There can be phases of natural grief that may be universal (Bowlby and Parkes, 1970); these are described as feelings of numbness, desire, longing, seeking combined with incompetence, inadequacy and anguish. Grief is not an illness and various individuals may need time to recoup their loss. Some people are never able to totally feel whole again. Cross-cultural differences transcend culture in expressions of grief. ...
- Bryant, C. D. (2003). Handbook of death & dying. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Counts, D. A., & Counts, D. R. (1991). Loss and anger: Death expressions in grief in Kaliai. Amityville: Baywood.
- Parkes, C. M., Laingani, P., & Young, B. (1997). Death & bereavement across cultures. London, England: Routledge.
- Rosenblatt, P. C. (2000). Parent grief: Narratives of loss relationship. Philadelphia: Brunner Maze.
- Walsh, R. P., & Jackson, D. A. (1975). Grief and mourning cross-culture perspective. New Haven, CT: Human Relations Area Files Press.
- Cross-Culture Perspective on Bereavement Springer
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Child Behavior and Development
- p 441
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 480. Neurology, Learning and Behavior Center
- 481. Department of Psychology MS 2C6, George Mason University
- Author Affiliations
- 1. PSY D, Saybrook University, 1870 East Fireside Drive, Meridian, ID, 83642, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.