- Mysti S. Frazier
- … show all 1 hide
Affective disorders are otherwise known as mood disorders and include a group of emotional, psychological, and behavioral disturbances. These disorders include major depressive disorder, bipolar I and II disorders, schizoaffective disorder, and seasonal affective disorder.
The DSM-IV-TR (2000) defines mood disorders in distinct groups including depressive and bipolar disorders. Major depressive disorder differs from bipolar disorder because there is no history of manic episodes, which is a defining characteristic of bipolar disorder .
In children, symptoms of a major depressive episode are shown through irritable or cranky moods and academic problems. Also, these symptoms are different from everyday irritability or frustration and are often comorbid with other childhood disorders, such as ADHD . Finally, depressive episodes emerge more during adolescence along with the onset of puberty [1, 4].
Symptoms of bipola ...
- Allen, NB, Barrett, A, Sheeber, L, Davis, B Pubertal development and the emergence of the gender gap in mood disorders: A developmental and evolutionary synthesis. In: Castle, DJ, Kulkarni, J, Abel, KM eds. (2006) Mood and anxiety disorders in women. Cambridge University Press, New York, pp. 1-19
- Ambrosini, PJ (2000) Historical development and present status of the Schedule for Affective Disorders and Schizophrenia for School-Age Children (K-SADS). Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 39: pp. 49-58
- Practice parameter for the assessment and treatment of children and adolescents with bipolar disorder. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 46: pp. 107-125
- Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (Text Revision). Author, Washington, DC
- David-Ferdon, C, Kaslow, NJ (2008) Evidence-based psychosocial treatments for child and adolescent depression. Journal of Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology 37: pp. 62-104
- Goodyer, IM Depression in childhood and adolescence. In: Paykel, ES eds. (1992) Handbook of affective disorders. Guilford, New York, pp. 585-600
- Michalak, EE, Murray, G, Young, AH, Lam, RW Quality of life impairment in bipolar disorder. In: Ritsner, MS, Awad, AG eds. (2007) Quality of life impairment in schizophrenia, mood and anxiety disorders. Springer, Netherlands, pp. 253-274
- Rosenthal, NE (2006) Winter blues: Everything you need to know to beat seasonal affective disorder. Guilford, New York
- Segovia, A, Botteron, KN, Geller, B Chronic and refractory mood disorders in childhood and adolescence. In: Amsterdam, JD, Hornig, M, Nierenberg, A eds. (2001) Treatment-resistant mood disorders. Cambridge University Press, New York, pp. 273-287
- Affective Disorders
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Child Behavior and Development
- pp 55-56
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 480. Neurology, Learning and Behavior Center
- 481. Department of Psychology MS 2C6, George Mason University
- Mysti S. Frazier (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Educational Psychology, University of Texas at San Antonio, 501 West Durango Blvd., San Antonio, 78207-4415, TX, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.