- Rebekah R. Pender
- … show all 1 hide
Solitary constructive play
Constructive Play is the using or manipulating of objects with creation or construction of something as a purpose. Constructive play is the use of materials by children to achieve a specific goal in mind that requires transformation of objects into something new.
This type of play typically emerges in children around the age of 2 and will be the dominant type of play from the age of 3 and on . The primary goal of this type of play is not the having of the object, but the creation of the object . This type of play also allows the child to develop their own working theories about the natural, social, material, physical worlds through enquiry research, exploration, generation, and modification .
Relevance to Childhood Development
Over the years, early childhood researchers have found that constructive play is essential for children as a building block and critical co ...
- Buenavista, G. (2006). Constructive play. Retrieved December 12, 2008, from http://www.psychology-lexicon.com/lexikon/constructive_play.htm
- Gray, P. (2008). The value of play i: the definition of play provides clues to its purposes. Retrieved December 12, 2008, from http://blogs.psychologytoday.com/blog/freedom-learn/200811/the-value-play-i-the-definition-play-provides-clues-its-purposes.
- Luckey, AJ, Fabes, RA (2005) Understanding nonsocial play in early childhood. Early Childhood Education Journal 33: pp. 67-72
- New Zealand Ministry of Education. (Unknown). Constructive play. Retrieved December 12, 2008, from http://www.lead.ece.govt.nz/Playgroups/LearningEnvironmentsForPlaygroups/ConstructivePlay/ConstructivePlay.htm
- Northern Illinois University. (2009). What is constructive play? Retrieved January 29, 2009, from http://www.niu.edu/ccc/curriculum/constructive_play.shtml
- Constructive Play
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Child Behavior and Development
- pp 409-410
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.