Universal Nonverbal Intelligence Test
Intelligence testing without verbal communication
The Universal Test of Nonverbal Intelligence (UNIT) is a test designed for children and adolescents (ages 5:0 to 17:11). This cognitive measure is a useful alternative to traditional measures that involve verbal and language material. The UNIT provides a comprehensive assessment of nonverbal intelligence.
The following information is taken from the UNIT Examiner’s Manual .
Organization of the UNIT
The UNIT is made up of six subtests. These subtests include: Symbolic Memory, Spatial Memory, Object Memory, Cube Design, Analogic Reasoning, and Mazes.
During the Symbolic Memory subtest, the examinee is shown a sequence of universal symbols (baby, girl, boy, woman, man in either green or black) for 5 s. After the 5 s, the stimulus is removed and the examinee uses the symbolic memory response cards to re-create the stimulus. This subtest measures short-term visual memory and complex sequ ...
- Bracken, B. A., & McCallum, R. S. (1998). Universal nonverbal intelligence test examiner’s manual. Itasca, IL: Riverside Publishing Company.
- Hooper, V. S., & Bell, S. M. (2006). Concurrent validity of the universal intelligence test and the Leiter international performance scale-revised. Psychology in the Schools, 43, 143–148. CrossRef
- Wilhoit, B. E., & McCallum, R. S. (2002). Profile analysis of the universal nonverbal intelligence test standardization sample. School Psychology Review, 31, 263–281.
- Universal Nonverbal Intelligence Test
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Child Behavior and Development
- pp 1523-1524
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 480. Neurology, Learning and Behavior Center
- 481. Department of Psychology MS 2C6, George Mason University
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Educational Psychology and Counseling, California State University, San Bernardino, 5500 University Parkway, San Bernardino, CA, 92407, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.