- Theodora KoulentiAffiliated withDepartment of Psychology, University of Nicosia
- , Xenia Anastassiou-HadjicharalambousAffiliated withDepartment of Psychology, University of Nicosia
Uninvolved parents are described as cold and uninterested in their child’s needs. They keep their child at a distance by minimizing time-sharing and interaction. They have a low degree of commitment to their role as parents .
Parenting styles are described as the set of parental attitudes, practices and non-verbal expressions that characterize parent-child interactions across various situations . A number of different studies reveal that the quality of parenting practices has a strong effect on children’s development. Various forms of psychopathology and key emotional and behavioral problems have been associated with a range of family risk factors, such as poor parenting, lack of a warm positive relationship between children and parents, insecure attachment, and inadequate involvement with children .
Three prototypes o ...
Reference Work Entry Metrics
- Uninvolved Parents
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Child Behavior and Development
- pp 1516-1518
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 480. Neurology, Learning and Behavior Center
- 481. Department of Psychology MS 2C6, George Mason University
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychology, University of Nicosia, 46 Makedonitissas Avenue, P.O. Box 24005, Nicosia, 1700, Cyprus
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.