Social anxiety; Social anxiety disorder
According to DSM IV  social anxiety disorder is “a marked and persistent fear of one or more social performance situations in which the person is exposed to unfamiliar people or possible scrutiny by others.” It is a disorder with a very broad range of implications as most of our daily activities revolve around social encounters. It is especially debilitating because seemingly routine tasks become an ordeal for the individuals suffering from the disorder.
Social phobia is a common disorder with vast implications; its effects range from interpersonal problems to inability to meet developmental milestones. The socially anxious youth struggle with the inherent anxiety as well as the social implications of their anxious behavior.
Ford  in a personal account of social phobia described her experience in the following way
In first period chemistry, I was up to my ears in dread-dread of having to ...
- Albano, AM, Chorpita, BF, Barlow, DH Childhood anxiety disorders. In: Mash, EJ, Barkley, RA eds. (2003) Childhood psychopathology (pp. 279–330). Guilford, New York
- Albano, AM, Marten, PM, Holt, CS, Heimberg, RG, Barlow, DH (1995) Cognitive behavior group treatment for social phobia in adolescents. Journal of Nervous and Mental Diseases 183: pp. 647-656
- Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC
- Beck, JS (1995) Cognitive therapy: The basics and beyond. Guilford, New York
- Beidel, DC, Turner, SM (2007) Shy children, phobic adults: Nature and treatment of social anxiety disorders. American Psychological Association, Washington, DC
- Ford, E, Liebowtiz, MR, Andrews, LW (2007) What you must think of me: A firsthand account of one teenagers experience with social anxiety. Oxford University Press, New York
- Friedberg, R. D., McClure, J. M., & Garcia, J. H. (in press). Techniques for cognitive therapy with children: A modular approach. New York: Guilford.
- Kendall, PC, Kane, MT, Howard, BL, Siqueland, L (1992) Cognitive-behavioral therapy for anxious children: Treatment manual (The Coping Cat). Temple University, Philadelphia
- Rao, PA, Beidel, DC, Turner, SM, Ammerman, RT, Crosby, LE, Sallee, FR (2007) Social anxiety disorder in childhood and adolescence: Descriptive psychopathology. Behavior Research and Therapy 45: pp. 1181-1191
- Velosa, JF, Riddle, MA (2000) Pharmacologic treatment of anxiety disorders in children and adolescents. Psychopharmacology 9: pp. 119-133
- Social Phobia
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Child Behavior and Development
- pp 1397-1399
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 480. Neurology, Learning and Behavior Center
- 481. Department of Psychology MS 2C6, George Mason University
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, Penn State College Of Medicine, Hershey, PA, USA
- 2. Laboratoire EvaCliPsy, Université Paris X Nanterre, 200 Avenue de la République, Nanterre, France
- 3. Department of Psychiatry, Penn State Milton Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, PA, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.