Autism Behavior Checklist
- Teresa L. DavenportAffiliated withDepartment of Educational Psychology, Ball State University
The Autism Behavior Checklist (ABC) was designed to offer a method to more objectively identify autism in children. The scale utilizes an observer’s rating of the child’s behavior to quantify behaviors typically associated with Autism.
The ABC was developed as a clinical measure to screen for autism in individuals 3–35-years-of-age. The scale was developed in 1980 and has not undergone revision since then. The ABC consists of 57 item and 5 scales (1) Sensory, (2) Relating, (3) Body and Object use, (4) Language and (5) Social and Self-help .
The items included in the ABC were grouped on the five subscales primarily based on face validity. The items themselves were chosen from many sources, including Kanner’s  article which first outlined autism and Lovaas et al.  work on autism.. After items were written and finalized, internationally recognized experts in the field of autism were asked to provide feedback for the scal ...
Reference Work Entry Metrics
- Autism Behavior Checklist
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Child Behavior and Development
- pp 182-183
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 480. Neurology, Learning and Behavior Center
- 481. Department of Psychology MS 2C6, George Mason University
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Educational Psychology, Ball State University, Teachers College room 524, Muncie, IN, 47306, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.