- David Hackett
- … show all 1 hide
Behavior rehearsal; Psychodrama
Role-playing is a technique, most often utilized in psychotherapy and skills training, whereby the child is instructed to reenact a response encountered in a specified situation. Widely used in the assessment and treatment of maladaptive behaviors characteristic of childhood disorders, the use of role-play provides an efficient means of sampling the child’s behavioral skills and/or deficits [3, 2].
Role-playing is a relatively nonthreatening technique used as a means of assessment, intervention, and engagement of children in psychotherapy. In general, due to the indirect and contrived nature of this technique, role-play can be used as an effective substitute to traditional “talk therapies,” particularly with those children who present as suspicious, guarded, fearful, or depressed as it provides a mode of interaction wherein the child is partially removed from that which he or she may be ...
- Beck, J. S. (1995). Cognitive therapy: Basics and beyond. New York: Guilford Press.
- Friedberg, R. D., & McClure, J. M. (2002). Clinical practice of cognitive therapy with children and adolescents: The nuts and bolts. New York: The Guilford Press.
- Kendall, P. C., & Braswell, L. (1993). Cognitive-behavioral therapy for impulsive children (2nd ed.). New York: The Guilford Press.
- Levenson, R. L., & Herman, J. (1991). The use of role playing as a technique in the psychotherapy of children. Psychotherapy, 28, 660–666.
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Child Behavior and Development
- pp 1278-1279
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 480. Neurology, Learning and Behavior Center
- 481. Department of Psychology MS 2C6, George Mason University
- David Hackett (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Clinical Psychology, Argosy University, 980 Hammond Drive, Atlanta, GA, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.