Regulation of Emotion
- Anthony R. Artino Jr.
- … show all 1 hide
Regulation of emotion refers to the processes whereby individuals monitor, evaluate, and modify their emotions in an effort to control which emotions they have, when they have them, and how they experience and express those emotions.
Before discussing regulation of emotion, it is important to first define emotion. Unfortunately, there is no clear consensus among affect researchers as to the one best definition of emotion. Instead, research and theory on emotion have been characterized by much conceptual and definitional confusion . This confusion is due, in part, to the fact that emotion has been studied from a diverse set of disciplinary perspectives, including, for example, psychology, neuroscience, sociology, and philosophy . However, in terms of organization and association with other constructs, emotion is ofte ...
- Regulation of Emotion
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Child Behavior and Development
- pp 1236-1238
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 480. Neurology, Learning and Behavior Center
- 481. Department of Psychology MS 2C6, George Mason University
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Preventive Medicine and Biometrics, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, 4301 Jones Bridge Road, Bethesda, Maryland, 20814, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.