- Bernadette Hassan Solórzano
- … show all 1 hide
Polkinghorne  stated that “narrative can refer to the process of making a story, to the cognitive scheme of the story, or the result of the process.” (p. 13) “Narrative” is a term that has become increasingly used in mainstream culture to describe such things as cultural narratives, gender narratives, political narratives, survivor narratives, illness narratives, etc [2, 5]. Narratives are used therapeutically in psychology. Postmodern therapy approaches consider narratives as a powerful component of therapy since postmodernist therapists believe that reality is constituted in language and narratives can be used to change understandings of a situation. If clients can create a more empowered narrative, it is the first step to creating an improved future. Personal narratives can be utilized in written or oral form. Michael White and David Epston im ...
- Bruner, J. (1990). Acts of meaning. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- Penn, P. (2001). Chronic illness: Trauma, language, and writing: Breaking the silence. Family Process, 40, 33–52.
- Polkinghorne, D. E. (1988). Narrative knowing and the human sciences. New York: State University of New York Press.
- Scheibe, K. E. (1986). Self-narratives and adventure. In Sarbin, T. R. (Ed.), Narrative psychology. (pp. 171–190). New York: Praeger.
- White, M., & Epston, D. (1990). Narrative means to a therapeutic ends. New York: W.W. Norton.
- Personal Narratives
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Child Behavior and Development
- pp 1081-1082
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 480. Neurology, Learning and Behavior Center
- 481. Department of Psychology MS 2C6, George Mason University
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychology, Our Lady of the Lake University Community Counseling Service, San Antonio, TX, 78228, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.