- Sahran Hamit
- … show all 1 hide
Clique; Peer affiliation; Peer relations; Peer relationships; Social group
A peer group is a group of individuals who are approximately the same age, formed from common interests and affective bonds.
Peer groups consist of more than two individuals of similar age, social status, and interest. Peer groups are not only comprised of individuals who are friends. It is possible to have a peer group where some members are friends and others are just tolerated. Every child on a basketball team is in the same peer group, but they are not all necessarily friends. Peer group membership can be based on sociometric status, friendship, and other social categories (e.g., “brains” or “jocks”). Peer groups are based on the interests of the members, whether that interest is sports, academia, or music. It is also possible for an individual to belong to two peer groups simultaneously and it is typical for individuals to change groups radically over t ...
- Arnon, S, Shamai, S, Ilatov, Z (2008) Socialization agents and activities of young adolescents. Adolescence 43: pp. 373-397
- Harris, JR (1995) Where is the child’s environment? A group socialization theory of development. Psychology Review 102: pp. 458-489
- Kaufmann, DR, Wyman, PA, Forbes-Jones, EL, Barry, J (2007) Prosocial involvement and antisocial peer affiliations as predictors of behavior problems in urban adolescents: Main effects and moderating effects. Journal of Community Psychology 35: pp. 417-434
- Kindermann, TA (1996) Strategies for the study of individual development within naturally-existing peer groups. Social Development 5: pp. 158-173
- Kupersmidt, JB, Coie, JD (1990) Preadolescent peer status, aggression, and school adjustment as predictors of externalizing problems in adolescence. Child Development 61: pp. 1350-1362
- Vandell, DL (2000) Parents, peer groups, and other socializing influences. Developmental Psychology 36: pp. 699-710
- Peer Group
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Child Behavior and Development
- pp 1073-1074
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.