Non-Normative Life Events
Atypical and major lifetime events
The term non-normative life events describe significant, unexpected and unpredictable events, for a particular individual, which do not follow the predictable developmental pattern of life-cycle.
Non-normative life events are those that occur unexpectedly, such as natural disasters, loss of a family member and war. Even in cases that death or illness, in specific ages, are statistically considered normative, they are actually non-normative. They are still unexpected and undesired events, associated with severe effects . Non-normative events may be comprised of both negative and positive events, such as death of a beloved person or winning in a lottery. However, in both cases, they are unexpected and slightly related to chronological age .
Life-span developmentalists assert that individual development is deeply affected by age-graded, history-graded and non-normative factors. Features, such a ...
- Baltes, PB, Reese, HW, Lipsitt, LP (1980) Life-span developmental psychology. Annual Review of Psychology 31: pp. 65-110
- Felitti, VJ, Anda, RF, Nordenberg, D, Williamson, DF, Spitz, AM, Edwards, V, Koss, MP, Marks, JS (1998) Relationship of childhood abuse and household dysfunction to many of the leading cause of death in adults: The adverse childhood experiences (ACE) study. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 14: pp. 245-258
- Krause, N, Shaw, BA, Cairney, J (2004) A descriptive epidemiology of lifetime trauma and the physical health status of older adults. Psychology and Aging 19: pp. 637-648
- Greca, AM, Siegel, JL, Wallander, LJ, Walker, EC eds. (1992) Stress and coping in child health. The Guilford Press, New York
- Lavee, Y, McCubbin, IH, Olson, HD (1987) The effect of stressful life events and transitions on family functioning and well-being. Journal of Marriage and the Family 49: pp. 857-873
- Wrosch, C, Freund, MA (2001) Self-regulation of normative and non-normative developmental challenges. Human Development 44: pp. 264-283
- Non-Normative Life Events
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Child Behavior and Development
- pp 1018-1020
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 480. Neurology, Learning and Behavior Center
- 481. Department of Psychology MS 2C6, George Mason University
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychology, University of Nicosia, 46 Makedonitissas Avenue, P.O. Box 24005, Nicosia, 1700, Cyprus
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.