Non-Normative Life Events
Atypical and major lifetime events
The term non-normative life events describe significant, unexpected and unpredictable events, for a particular individual, which do not follow the predictable developmental pattern of life-cycle.
Non-normative life events are those that occur unexpectedly, such as natural disasters, loss of a family member and war. Even in cases that death or illness, in specific ages, are statistically considered normative, they are actually non-normative. They are still unexpected and undesired events, associated with severe effects . Non-normative events may be comprised of both negative and positive events, such as death of a beloved person or winning in a lottery. However, in both cases, they are unexpected and slightly related to chronological age .
Life-span developmentalists assert that individual development is deeply affected by age-graded, history-graded and non-normative factors. Features, such a ...
- Baltes, P. B., Reese, H. W., & Lipsitt, L. P. (1980). Life-span developmental psychology. Annual Review of Psychology, 31, 65–110.
- Felitti, V. J., Anda, R. F., Nordenberg, D., Williamson, D. F., Spitz, A. M., Edwards, V., et al. (1998). Relationship of childhood abuse and household dysfunction to many of the leading cause of death in adults: The adverse childhood experiences (ACE) study. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 14(4), 245–258.
- Krause, N., Shaw, B. A., & Cairney, J. (2004). A descriptive epidemiology of lifetime trauma and the physical health status of older adults. Psychology and Aging, 19(4), 637–648.
- La Greca, A. M., Siegel, J. L., Wallander, L. J., & Walker, E. C. (Eds.). (1992). Stress and coping in child health. New York: The Guilford Press.
- Lavee, Y., McCubbin, I. H., & Olson, H. D. (1987). The effect of stressful life events and transitions on family functioning and well-being. Journal of Marriage and the Family, 49(4), 857–873.
- Wrosch, C., & Freund, M. A. (2001). Self-regulation of normative and non-normative developmental challenges. Human Development, 44, 264–283.
- Non-Normative Life Events
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Child Behavior and Development
- pp 1018-1020
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 480. Neurology, Learning and Behavior Center
- 481. Department of Psychology MS 2C6, George Mason University
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychology, University of Nicosia, 46 Makedonitissas Avenue, P.O. Box 24005, Nicosia, 1700, Cyprus
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.