- Jessica SparlingAffiliated withScott Center for Autism Treatment, Florida Institute of Technology
- , Ivy ChongAffiliated withScott Center for Autism Treatment, Florida Institute of Technology
Studying or assessing individuals as they interact in their typical environment.
During an observation, there is no experimental manipulation, and data are recorded under the conditions that occur in the environment. Specifically, natural observation is a technique used in research and assessment, which is similar to direct observation, where information regarding an individual or individuals is gathered immediately while the individual’s behavior occurs naturally their everyday environment, rather than a laboratory or clinical setting . Information gathered during observations may be used in order to identify environmental variables necessary to create an artificial laboratory or clinical environment in which to assess or conduct research in, to identify areas which need assessment or research, or may garner the information necessary when research or assessment is ...
Reference Work Entry Metrics
- Natural Observation
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Child Behavior and Development
- pp 992-993
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Editor Affiliations
- 480. Neurology, Learning and Behavior Center
- 481. Department of Psychology MS 2C6, George Mason University
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Scott Center for Autism Treatment, Florida Institute of Technology, 150 W. University Blvd., Melbourne, FL, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.