- Pei-Hsuan Hsieh
- … show all 1 hide
Learning goals; Task goals; Task involvement; Task orientation
Mastery orientation is defined as having the goal of learning and mastering the task according to self-set standards. Learner is focused on developing new skills, improving, and acquiring additional knowledge.
Detailed in the literature are two types of goal orientations. The first is a mastery goal, where students focus on mastery of a task and have the desire to acquire new skills. The second is a performance goal, where learners’ main concern is demonstrating competence and focus on receiving favorable judgments of ability from others.
Mastery orientated students find satisfaction with the work and are not influenced by external performance indicators such as grades. Students who have mastery goals tend to engage in activities that will increase their knowledge. They pay more attention, are more likely to process information at a higher level, and are not afraid to ask for help.
Relevance to Chil ...
- Dweck, CS, Elliot, ES Achievement motivation. In: Hetherington, EM eds. (1983) Handbook of child psychology: Vol. 4. Socialization, personality, and social development. Wiley, New York
- Eccles, JS, Midgley, C Stage-environment fit: Developmentally appropriate classrooms for young adolescents. In: Ames, C, Ames, R eds. (1989) Research on motivation in education: Vol. 3. Goals and cognition. Academic, San Diego, CA
- Elliot, AJ, Harackiewicz, JM (1996) Approach and avoidance achievement goals and intrinsic motivation: A mediational analysis. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 70: pp. 461-475
- Mastery Orientation
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Child Behavior and Development
- pp 915-916
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 480. Neurology, Learning and Behavior Center
- 481. Department of Psychology MS 2C6, George Mason University
- Pei-Hsuan Hsieh (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Educational Psychology, University of Texas at San Antonio, 501 West Durango Blvd., San Antonio, TX, 78207, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.