- Daniel Patanella
- … show all 1 hide
Behaviorism; Cognitive-behaviorism; Conditioning; Latent learning; Literacy; Neo-behaviorism; Social learning
Learning refers to changes in behavior and cognition as the result of experience. Traditional learning theory is closely associated with behaviorism, cognitive-behavioral research, and an empiricist-associationist philosophy.
As a psychological discipline, learning refers to changes in behavior and changes in cognition as the result of experience. Traditional learning theory is closely associated with behaviorism, cognitive-behavioral research, and an empiricist-associationist philosophy. A broad distinction may be drawn between conditioning, as represented by Watson  and Skinner  and the eclectic cognitive-behavioral learning perspectives of such psychologists as Tolman  and Bandura . Regardless of their theoretical diversity, all learning theorists subscribe to the behaviorist maxim that the proper dependent ...
- Bandura, A. (1977). Social learning theory. New York: General Learning Press.
- Ferster, C. B., & Skinner, B. F. (1957). Schedules of reinforcement. New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts.
- Guthrie, E. R. (1935). The psychology of learning. New York: Harper and Brothers.
- Hull, C. (1943). Principles of behavior. New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts.
- Pavlov, I. P. (1902). Lectures on the work of the digestive glands (W. H. Thompson, Trans.). London: Charles Griffin.
- Rescorla, R. A., & Wagner, A. R. (1972). A theory of Pavlovian conditioning: Variations in the effectiveness of reinforcement and non-reinforcement. In A. H. Black & W. F. Prokasy (Eds.), The psychology of learning and motivation (Vol. 4). New York: Academic Press.
- Skinner, B. F. (1938). The behavior of organisms. New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts.
- Solomon, R. L. (1980). The opponent process theory of acquired motivation. American Psychologist, 35, 691–712.
- Tolman, E. C. (1932). Purposive behavior in animals and men. New York: Century.
- Watson, J. B. (1924). Behaviorism. New York: Norton.
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Child Behavior and Development
- pp 872-874
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 480. Neurology, Learning and Behavior Center
- 481. Department of Psychology MS 2C6, George Mason University
- Daniel Patanella (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. New York City Department of Education, 52 Chambers Street, room 309, New York, NY, 10007, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.